Saturday 8 August 2009

The Great War Forum


A few days ago I posted of this very informative web site a question of how I can go about finding out the month/year of my Great Grandfathers enlistment, below is my original question -


One question I would like to ask here and after asking some family members is about his enlistment, the facts I do know are - Enlisted - Camberwell, SE LondonResident - Peckham, Fowler StreetFormerly - Kings Royal Rofle Corp (Brigade) R/26235Possible that he enlisted around November 1916, but not sure, this is information of his unit - 7th Battalion The Rifle Brigade (The Princes Consort Own)Serial Number - S/26127he was 29 when he died.


I got a first reply within hours from Andy Pay -


The 7th Rifle Brigade were in Support for the attack on the 3/5/17 but suffered from shell-fire. Find attached page 3117 from the Rifle Brigade medal rolls, if you would like the full size page let me know and I will send it to you. As you can see he served only in the 7th.


He has sent me a photo of this card via email and shows Jonathan Rowe listed. I posted back a great big thanks to him for this document that I didnt even knew exsited, for which another reply came back, first with this written -


The Rifle Brigade is something of a passion of mine developed over the years with particualr interest in the 14th Division (or 8th Division as it was until more troops came home from overseas billets and then renumbered the 14th) and the 8th Rifle Brigade especially, which IMHO is unique in certain aspects and with the way that Ronnie Maclachlan recruited his officers (all Oxbridge and Eton)


As I was reading this a picture was loading also on the page, and to my utter surprise a picture showed up on the page of a grave, Jonathan's grave in Wancourt Cemetary. Well to say that I was in shock is an understament, I didnt ask where or how he got this picture but to finaly see it and still not move from my chair in front of this computer is amazing.


I'd like to thanks Andy Pay for the help in such a short time, more than I could of asked for.

See the picture above, if you've not already seen it:)

No comments:

Post a Comment